Fire safety in high rise blocks - Advice for tenants

10/11/2016

Back in August a huge blaze, caused by a faulty tumble dryer, ripped through five floors of a council-owned tower block in Shepherds Bush. Fifty people were evacuated and there were no serious injuries in the fire, but two flats were destroyed and two more were severely damaged.

The fault affects some Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda machines manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. Residents can check whether their product is affected by clicking on the following link:

The London Fire Brigade is now urging residents to immediately unplug certain tumble dryers. The brigade last week urged manufacturer Whirlpool to change its advice on the product, which suggests it can be used safely while waiting for an engineer.