Home contents insurance

Many tenants believe that Brent Council automatically insures their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes.

This is not the case.

Why should I get home contents insurance?

Accidents can be very expensive. You are strongly advised to protect the contents of your home through your own insurance scheme or through the council's house contents insurance scheme which is managed by Brent Housing Partnership.

Who can apply for insurance?

You must be a current council tenant. Council leaseholders are not eligible for contents insurance through us.

How to apply for insurance

You can apply for BHP's scheme please click on the following link.

(Please ensure you read the policy disclaimer first before completing your application. This can be found under the heading below.)

Please post your form to:


Brent Housing Partnership
Brent Civic Centre,
Engineers Way,

Policy disclaimer

Brent Council and Brent Housing Partnership (BHP) do not accept any responsibility for the loss or damage of tenant's household contents or possessions. While it would advise tenants to think carefully about securing adequate insurance cover for their contents or possessions, it is the tenant’s responsibility to make its own arrangements to insure its household possessions (including carpets, curtains and furniture) against loss or damage.

Arrangement with Aviva Insurance Limited

While many insurance companies can provide cover for loss or damage to contents and possessions, and tenants have the choice of which insurance company they select, Brent Council has an arrangement with Aviva Insurance Limited that is administered via Brent Housing Partnership*.

This arrangement means Aviva can provide insurance cover for Brent’s tenants and payment for the insurance can be made alongside a tenant’s rent. A summary of the cover available is set out in this booklet. You may wish to consider this option if you do not currently have home contents and possessions insurance.

Any policy taken out by tenants, or members of their households, is strictly between those parties and Aviva. Neither the London Borough of Brent nor BHP accepts responsibility or liability for any aspect of the scheme.

*The London Borough of Brent receives an administration fee for this service.

Rent arrears

Your insurance policy is likely to be cancelled without notice if your rent account goes into arrears.

Failure to pay that part of your weekly commitment, which relates to insurance will be treated as a breach of contract, entitling Brent Housing Partnership on behalf of the council, to cancel your contents insurance.

Take Five Fraud banner