Freedom of Information (FOI)

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a right of access to a wide range of information held by public authorities, including local councils, central government,  the police, schools and NHS.

The Act came into effect in two stages - since March 2003 public authorities have been required to maintain a Publication Scheme and from January 2005 any person has a statutory right to request information under the Act.

Brent Housing Partnership (BHP) as a wholly owned subsidiary of Brent Council and is subject to the Freedom of Information Act. BHP also subscribes to Brent Council's Freedom of Information Policy and Publication Scheme.

The Council's publication scheme is a guide to the type of information we routinely publish. Please take a look at the publication scheme before making a request, to see whether the information you require is included. If the information you wish to see is not included within the scheme, you are still able to make a request under the general right of access.

You can make a request in writing or by email, to Brent Council.

Alternatively you can email or write to:

Principal FOI Officer
Brent Civic Centre
Engineers Way

We have an obligation to inform you whether BHP holds that information and if it does to provide the information (subject to exemptions) within 20 working days of receipt of your request.

Details can be found on the Information Commission website.


Should you be dissatisfied with the outcome of your request for information you have the right to complain, which will trigger an internal review.

If you are unhappy with the review you can appeal to the Information Commissioner who can be contacted by writing directly to:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 01625 545 700
Fax: 01625 545 510

Regulations governing the re-use of public sector information came into force in July 2005. These provide that public sector bodies have a discretion to permit the 're-use' of information and sets out guidelines for doing so. Other than for commercial purposes the council is happy to permit re-use but cannot accept any liability arising from the use of the information.
Brent Housing Partnership subscribes to Brent Council's policy on the re-use of public section information.

If you wish to re-use information that has been made available to you through FOI for commercial purposes you will need to apply for permission by writing to:

Brent Housing Partnership
Brent Civic Centre
Engineers Way