Claiming benefits

If you are on a low income or having difficulty meeting costs because of your personal circumstances then you may be entitled to financial help.

What can I claim?

You may be able to claim for benefits if: 

  • You are on a low income (employed or looking for work) 
  • You have children living with you 
  • You are sick or disabled 
  • You are caring for someone 
  • You are aged 60 or over 
  • You have been bereaved 
  • You are pregnant or have recently had a baby 
  • You are a parent attending a full time college course

The Job Centre plus will help you with any questions you have about your benefits situation. Call a member of the team on 0800 055 66 88 to make a benefit claim.

Check if you're eligible for benefits

(Text phone: 0800 023 4888 if you have hearing impairment or speech difficulties).

Working age benefits

If you are looking for work, or are in a low paid job you can get financial help and support from the Job Centre Plus and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Retired or planning to retire

Everyone is entitled to a Basic State Pension and many people of pensionable age are entitled to other benefits.

Families and children

Everyone who has a child is entitled to claim Child Benefit. However you may have to pay a tax charge, known as the High Income Child Benefit Charge, if you have an individual income over £50,000.

Disabled people and carers

There is a range of support available for people who are sick, or who are disabled, and there is also support available for the people who care for them. The help you receive will depend on your individual circumstances.

Can I still get benefits if I have savings?

There have been changes to the benefit rules which mean that you may still be entitled to receive financial support if you have savings up to £16,000. This also applies to pensioners who apply for or receive the state retirement pension.

Change of circumstances

If you get DWP benefits or housing benefit and your circumstances change, you must tell your local Job Centre Plus/Brent revenue and benefits, as soon as possible.

Report a change in your circumstances

Government changes to benefits

Further information

The Council's Customer Services at the Civic Centre can also give you advice and assistance to claim benefits.


Contact the Financial Inclusion Team